DIRECTOR, MEDIA PLANNING
Media Experts is a leading media agency in Canada helping brands connect with audiences across digital, broadcast, out of home, and print. We are data-driven and powered by the spirit of discovery. Our unique approach revolves around designing effective, hard-working media strategies that drive brand engagement and deliver outstanding business results.
We are seeking a curious and passionate Director, Media Planning, to help lead our dynamic team of maverick Experts in Vancouver. If you are interested in a senior leadership position at one of Canada’s top media agencies, have a passion for strategy and dedication towards delivering exceptional work, you may be the right fit we’re looking for.
The Director, Media Planning oversees client business while guiding workplace day-to-day with a steady hand. The role requires strong leadership to provide effective media counsel to both staff and clients; and is a key advisor to the GM. With their finger on the pulse of this industry, the Director will apply this industry know-how to manage and train teams regarding all things related to Media.
- Provide strategic council and thought leadership for clients.
- Maintain a strong understanding of market dynamics, targeted client challenges, and competitive strategies.
- Identify and evaluate key business partnerships and make recommendations.
- Cultivate an ongoing understanding of client business, operations, and marketing strategies and how these relate to media and communication strategies including trends, issues, and position papers.
- Inspire and lead the team in the development of creative, innovative, and on-strategy media solutions grounded in insight.
- Establish and grow strong client, team, and agency relationships.
- Collaborate with agency partners to develop ideas aligned to client strategy.
- Continually monitor and identify areas of both opportunity and risk with regards to achieving business objectives.
- Provide leadership in areas of hiring, training, educating, and motivating towards higher levels of performance.
- Oversee teams and ensure adherence to process and standards.
- Contribute towards the betterment of the overall Media Experts product and image, such as: recommend procedures, contribute to Media Mix, identify and communicate potential buying market conditions to peers, attendance at media/client events.
- Support integration across unit and functional lines at Mediabrands.
- Attending media seminars and presentations to improve professional development.
- Pursue new business opportunities and participate as required in new business presentations.
- Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years’ experience in Media Planning with at least 5 years of experience leading strategy development for client business.
- Planning experience across all media channels, with strong digital knowledge. Buying experience is an asset.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills.
- History of building positive lasting client relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to develop integrated marketing communication plans encompassing all forms of media.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and develop staff.
- Ability to drive projects from conception to completion; project management experience and strong presentation skills a must.
- Experience/involvement in new business planning and presentations preferred.
- Advanced understanding of proprietary and syndicated media research tools and media computer software programs.
- Independent thinker, creative problem solver with attention to detail.
- Ability to translate data into insights for designing client communication strategies.
- Strong negotiation skills.
What’s in it for you?
- Beer and wine Fridays? Check.
- Access to the latest industry platforms and training programs? Check.
- A chance to drive business results for top-tier Canadian brands? Check.
- An epic yearly trip to summer camp in Ontario? Check.
- An annual rocking holiday party in Montreal? Check.
- From the tip of the ocean to the top of the mountain in twenty minutes, and work in a beautiful office in Vancouver’s historic and vibrant Gastown neighborhood? Check.
- An agency that truly believes in giving back to the community through volunteer outreach programs? Check.
- All the free Cheerios and Granola you can eat? CHECK!
- Compensation based on experience, parental leave, health insurance, RRSP saving options, summer hours, vacation + extra-long weekends + a week off during the holiday season.
- And of course, an awesome agency to work with.
Media Experts is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage applications from all interested parties. Accommodations are available, upon request, for those with a disability or medical need during any stage of the recruitment process. We thank all candidates for their interest in Media Experts, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.